Ir al contenido principal

Some parents just don't get it, and that is OK

La imagen puede contener: 1 persona
Me and Dad
How many times have we faced the sometimes-difficult decision of not telling something to our parent because they just will not understand? For me, that is almost a constant. Not that, they don’t know where I live, or whom I live with, but some details are better left out of the conversation. Life changing events like being gay, suddenly quitting a job, changing careers or having an unusual relationship with a partner have to be softened to accommodate the delicate sensitivities of our care givers. Why?

Because the definition of “normal” changes with every generation. I have learned to interpret rather that literally taking my parent’s words for what they are. I used to get so upset with them questioning my life choices that I rebelled a bit in my early twenties doing a lot of stuff they would surely disapprove. 

However, as time went by, rebelling seemed silly and pointless, I came to understand that parents always mean well, but they don’t always do well. Children do not come with a manual, being someone’s parent is a personal road that society judges as a whole, based on criteria that may or may not apply, despite that, the judging never stops, especially for moms.

We as kids can be difficult at times. I used to take care of my brother when we were kids and I got so sick of him once that I let him go when he clearly stated -I want to go-, he was 10. He was found 4 hours later about a mile away from the house. I myself just left my babysitter cousin hanging, and walked 30 miles to my grandma’s house when I was five.

In light of this, I have trained my ear to listen and translate.

For example, when mom says -Why haven’t you given me a grandchild yet? - I hear, -It was such a delight to have you my dear daughter that I desperately wish for you to have the same joy I experienced- instead of being all defensive about her apparent judgement on my lack of pregnancy.

Or when dad says -You should be a lot more advanced in your career than you are now, when will you finish that degree?- I hear -Darling, you are so smart that I can’t believe they didn’t just hand over that degree at the very sight of you-. You see?

It is not about what they say; it is about what they mean when they say it.

At times, we may become angry with our parent due to the stress they put us under with all those questions that they answered at an earlier stage in life than we are. This means that, all thought they might be aware times are changing, they do not always keep in mind that so are we. We don’t need to get married to move out of the house, we don’t need children right away (or at all) to feel a sense of purpose in life, we can get a dog or cat and be perfectly content. In addition, a carrier or a great group of friend can suffice. However, in our parent’s world, change is not always a good thing.
Me and Mom

Just the other day my aunt asked me about my boyfriend to which I replied -He's fine- I could tell right as the words left my mouth that she was expecting a wedding date. She lectured me about the Bible and what God expects me to do about my sinful union. I didn’t get mad, I knew that when she said -You guys have dated for long enough, when am I to receive an invitation?- She actually meant to say, -In my days courtship was short, you either liked the guy or you didn’t, marriage was a given and we didn’t get a place of our own just to fuck like bunnies. We did that after the ceremony-. Thank you tía.

All and all, I really appreciate my parents and family, and all they have done and still do for me. There is true and pure value in the experience they fiercely try to drill into our heads as we grow up. I can still remember my grandmother holding a machete saying it was meant for any boyfriends that came my way, now I own that machete and hope to scare my future daughter’s boyfriend that very same way.


Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Mujeres que odian a mujeres

El domingo antepasado fui a Multiplaza Escazú sin saber que fue poseída por la Universidad Véritas y Leonora Jiménez . Los pasillos, fueron adornados entre quiosco y quiosco con maniquíes vestidos en material reciclable, fotografías en blanco y negro y juegos fabricados por estudiantes.   La  pièce de résistance  fue la pasarela, en la que se vió a Leonora rondando los pasillos. Yo la sigo en Instagram y me complace ver que sigue los pasos de empresarias como Tyra Banks y Heidy Klum quienes tomaron su imagen de mujeres bonitas para convertirlas en plataforma de negocios lucrativos, demostrando que la belleza también puede estar acompañada de inteligencia. Si Leonora es guapa o no, no es el punto ya que la belleza esta en el ojo del que la mira. Pero, mientras los ojos de hombres, mujeres , niños y niñas curioseaban y saludaban a la modelo, fue tan desagradable ver a muchas con esa mirada que todas conocemos muy bien, la mirada espesa, la mirada de envidia, la mirada que

El racismo en Costa Rica existe

Es difícil explicarle a la mayoría de tez blanca/clara/caucásica que el racismo existe. Es como, que un no-vidente de nacimiento le explique a alguien que ha tenido su vista toda la vida, como se siente nunca haber visto nada. El racismo que existe hoy en día es diferente al que experimentaron nuestros antepasados. Si, ahora todos nos educamos juntos, vamos al mismo hospital y aspiramos a los mismos puestos de trabajo. Pero imagínese levantarse todos los días sabiendo que la sociedad tiene de usted, una mala imagen solo basado en el tono de la piel, sabiendo que hay que esforzarse más que los demás para demostrarse igual que el resto. En la entrevista a Thelma Darkins  en laprensalibre.cr ella intento explicar que el racismo ahora es disimulado, viene en dosis pequeñas y en forma de micro agresiones, en la mayoría de los casos. Siento que, las personas tiene una imagen en su cabeza de negros esclavos, trabajando en campos de algodón o de empleados domésticos, y como eso ya no forma

Mi ejercicio es tan importante como el suyo

El gimnasio: tierra de músculos pronunciados, hombres extremadamente sudorosos, sonidos medio orgásmicos y mujeres que nunca sudan pero que se ven guapas ejercitándose. También, es la nodriza del típico “ selfie de gym” y las membresías que no pasan de enero. Yo, como la isla que siempre he sido, trato de no caer en clichés, sin embargo, he de admitir que después de una fuerte sesión es tentativo tomar la bendita foto y mostrarse al mundo como el Adonis o la Afrodita que uno se cree. Para llegar a presumir semejante físico, según Felipe mi entrenador, hay que dedicarse a hacer el ejercicio bien, tomarse su tiempo para hacer cada flexión en paz. Y esto fue justamente lo que ÉL no me dejo hacer. El hombre parecía mi sombra: máquina que yo usaba, máquina que él ocupaba. Está bien, pensé, talvez tenemos una rutina parecida. No creo, él tiene el físico de La Roca y yo la novia de Popeye. Talvez no me hubiera molestado tanto, si su insistencia hubiera sido un poco disimulada. M