Ir al contenido principal

When in doubt, think of asteroids

As a woman, as a black woman, as a sister, as a daughter, as a pet owner, as a girlfriend, as a friend and as a human being there are many things that I think will end me. However, no matter how big I think my problem is, just thinking about the fact that an asteroid can hit Earth at any time without notice is motivation enough to think that my problem is never as big as I think it is.

I’m used to making a huge deal over things. For example, an opportunity presented itself to me six months ago. I stressed so much, I couldn’t stop thinking about it every day, I would do research and study and prepare myself for that opportunity. And I’m not saying that was wrong but I tortured myself thinking it would be the end of the world if I didn’t get it. This was stupid and irrational. I realize that now.

The thought of asteroids also makes me want to help others. I don’t want to leave this world without putting some good out there, without helping people, without doing some charity, without teaching somebody something to better their lives.

The asteroid analogy can be used in many situations. Some years ago, I had a terrible relationship with somebody that I thought was very important to me. Whatever he did, whatever he said used to either make me or destroy me. It’s amazing how I went from caring so much to where I am now. I should’ve thought of asteroids. What if we were in the middle of a fight and suddenly the news broke that an asteroid was going to end Earth? I would’ve walked away and go to the people that I love, just like in the movies. I would probably do other things as well like steal a white Range Rover and free animals from zoos, but mostly in that moment I would think about what matters the most: my family, friends and pets. Everything else would’ve been a blur.

Asteroids have all sorts of effects on me. They make me want to buy shoes, pursue a new career, say ‘I love you’ more, open up to strangers, share what I know, kiss my little brother any chance I get, take care of my people, get more cats, clean the house, cook from friends…the list is endless.

I think this is the main reason I love disaster flicks so much. Most, see a silly film to pass the time, while I see hope, love and the better side of humanity. The one I keep coming back to is Independence Day with Will Smith. When the president is giving soldiers a pep talk as they are about to fight aliens, he says something brilliant “Mankind, that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest.”


I’ve heard people say to be grateful for what you have because others have very little and, although they are right, I’m uncomfortable feeling good about myself based on somebody else’s circumstances. I prefer the asteroids.

Don’t get me wrong this is not bulletproof. There are important problems in the world that I believe the asteroid analogy cannot cover. People are starving, girls and boys are getting raped, some cannot wait for the asteroid and are committing suicide.

However, think about it this way: your problem is only as big as you make it. Your problem (most of the time) is circumstantial and temporary. Will it matter tomorrow, in a week or in a year? Remember that the people you love have the greatest capacity to cause you pain, still that does not mean they do not love you. It just means they know you too well.

You are very important. Your dreams hurt and are difficult to get. Above all: do not be afraid to fail.




****This post is dedicated to the late Anthony Bourdain.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Mujeres que odian a mujeres

El domingo antepasado fui a Multiplaza Escazú sin saber que fue poseída por la Universidad Véritas y Leonora Jiménez . Los pasillos, fueron adornados entre quiosco y quiosco con maniquíes vestidos en material reciclable, fotografías en blanco y negro y juegos fabricados por estudiantes.   La  pièce de résistance  fue la pasarela, en la que se vió a Leonora rondando los pasillos. Yo la sigo en Instagram y me complace ver que sigue los pasos de empresarias como Tyra Banks y Heidy Klum quienes tomaron su imagen de mujeres bonitas para convertirlas en plataforma de negocios lucrativos, demostrando que la belleza también puede estar acompañada de inteligencia. Si Leonora es guapa o no, no es el punto ya que la belleza esta en el ojo del que la mira. Pero, mientras los ojos de hombres, mujeres , niños y niñas curioseaban y saludaban a la modelo, fue tan desagradable ver a muchas con esa mirada que todas conocemos muy bien, la mirada espesa, la mirada de envidia, la mirada que

El racismo en Costa Rica existe

Es difícil explicarle a la mayoría de tez blanca/clara/caucásica que el racismo existe. Es como, que un no-vidente de nacimiento le explique a alguien que ha tenido su vista toda la vida, como se siente nunca haber visto nada. El racismo que existe hoy en día es diferente al que experimentaron nuestros antepasados. Si, ahora todos nos educamos juntos, vamos al mismo hospital y aspiramos a los mismos puestos de trabajo. Pero imagínese levantarse todos los días sabiendo que la sociedad tiene de usted, una mala imagen solo basado en el tono de la piel, sabiendo que hay que esforzarse más que los demás para demostrarse igual que el resto. En la entrevista a Thelma Darkins  en laprensalibre.cr ella intento explicar que el racismo ahora es disimulado, viene en dosis pequeñas y en forma de micro agresiones, en la mayoría de los casos. Siento que, las personas tiene una imagen en su cabeza de negros esclavos, trabajando en campos de algodón o de empleados domésticos, y como eso ya no forma

Mi ejercicio es tan importante como el suyo

El gimnasio: tierra de músculos pronunciados, hombres extremadamente sudorosos, sonidos medio orgásmicos y mujeres que nunca sudan pero que se ven guapas ejercitándose. También, es la nodriza del típico “ selfie de gym” y las membresías que no pasan de enero. Yo, como la isla que siempre he sido, trato de no caer en clichés, sin embargo, he de admitir que después de una fuerte sesión es tentativo tomar la bendita foto y mostrarse al mundo como el Adonis o la Afrodita que uno se cree. Para llegar a presumir semejante físico, según Felipe mi entrenador, hay que dedicarse a hacer el ejercicio bien, tomarse su tiempo para hacer cada flexión en paz. Y esto fue justamente lo que ÉL no me dejo hacer. El hombre parecía mi sombra: máquina que yo usaba, máquina que él ocupaba. Está bien, pensé, talvez tenemos una rutina parecida. No creo, él tiene el físico de La Roca y yo la novia de Popeye. Talvez no me hubiera molestado tanto, si su insistencia hubiera sido un poco disimulada. M